Today, the world is full of fake gems – and gems that have been cooked, injected, dyed, and otherwise molested. That’s why we provide documentation for every stone we offer.
Many of the stones we offer were mined by us. Some were mined by close friends and trusted colleagues, while others came from dealers with whom we have long-standing trusting, professional relationships.
The origin and certification of every stone we offer is displayed on that stone’s entry. The notes below provide details for the various levels of certification. Detailed documentation about the origin and working of a stone is part of that individual stone’s history and value. Because value is what we offer, all of our stones bear our certification.
- Fully Certified:
- This item was mined, cut, and set by us. I may have designed the faceting plan. This gem bears our workmanship, and we certify hands-on supervision of it – from the hole in the ground to the finished piece.
- Origin Certified:
- We mined this gem, so we certify the stone’s origin. However, cutting was provided by a commercial vendor.
- Trust Certified:
- This stone came from a very trusted source, such as a close personal friend who owns the mine of origin – and who personally vouches for the origin and treatment status of the gem. We may have cut the stone in-house, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.
- Vendor Certified:
- This stone came from a vendor with whom we have a long-standing business relationship. The vendor certified the origin and treatment status of this piece and thereby stakes his reputation on that certification. We may have cut the stone in-house, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.
- Not Certified:
- This stone was obtained through purchase of an estate, at a show, or through some other unverifiable source. Any notes regarding source, treatment, etc are strictly speculation and are not certified. We may have cut the stone in-house, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.